When a new member profile is created you will receive an alert from YourMembership via email.
The following list are the checks you should run to approve new members:
- They are not sales people looking for contacts. (If they registered because they wanted to place an ad, their member type should be "Advertiser.")
- They are actually veterinarians that meet the qualifications for membership in NYSVMS, per the bylaws
- A robot has not created the record to gain access to our database
- They are not someone who has created a duplicate member record just because they can't remember their username and password
- Their address and email information is complete and in the format you want it to be
- As many fields as possible are completed using the information they've given you, in order to maximize the usability of the database - most people should have a checkmark next to DVM or VMD, depending on where they went to school
- The person has registered under the correct member category - do they really want to be a member, or do they just want to register for an event? Did they really graduate this year, or do they just want free dues?
- The person has paid member dues or has been invoiced
- The expiration date field is correct, or will be correct when dues are paid
- A regional group has been chosen (this is mandatory except for out-of-state members)
- If ANYTHING looks suspicious, check it out before you approve members. You are the first line of defense against a messy database and lots of returned mail due to bad addresses. You can always use the licensing info at http://www.op.nysed.gov/opsearches.htm to check people out and to fill in missing license numbers.
NYSVMS Member Services