In New York, the practice of veterinary medicine does not include the floating of equine teeth. . See N.Y. Educ. Law § 6701. Therefore, you do not have to be a licensed veterinary professional to perform the procedure and you may perform it as an independent contractor.

Tooth extraction does fall within New York's definition of veterinary medicine, however, and you must be a licensed veterinary professional -- either a veterinarian, or a licensed veterinary technician (LVT) under the supervision of a veterinarian -- to perform it.