If you are not a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, you may not treat animals that are classified as wildlife -- most foxes and wolf/dog hybrids, for example -- unless you are working with a licensed wildlife rehabilitator who has asked you to do so.  Licensed wildlife rehabilitators are authorized by the NY Department of Environmental Conservation to consult veterinarians as necessary to ensure that proper medical care is administered to injured, orphaned or distressed wildlife.  They are also authorized to capture, possess, transport, house, and feed wild animals; veterinarians, however, are not authorized to do so.  Information on wildlife health procedures and practices, and the laws surrounding those issues, is available at https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/261.html.  

Complete information about wildlife rehabilitator licensing can be found on the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation website at https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25027.html.  With specific questions about licensing and which licenses you may need, or about which animals are considered to be wildlife, please contact:

DEC Special Licenses Unit
625 Broadway, Albany NY 12233
(518) 402-8985