Permits to engage in the practice of veterinary medicine, which are limited as to eligibility, practice, and duration, are issued by the NYS Education Department to eligible applicants as follows (see http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/vetmed/article135.htm, Section 6707):
- Eligibility. The following persons shall be eligible for a limited permit:
- A person who fulfills all requirements for a license as a veterinarian except those relating to the examination and citizenship or permanent residence in the United States;
- A foreign veterinarian who is in this country on a non-immigration visa for the continuation of veterinary medical study in a college of veterinary medicine.
- Limit of practice. A permittee shall be authorized to practice veterinary medicine only under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian in accordance with regulations of the commissioner. A licensed veterinarian shall supervise one permittee.
- Duration. A limited permit issued pursuant to paragraph one of subdivision one of this section shall be valid for one year or until the individual has had the opportunity to take the state veterinarian licensing examination and receive the results of this examination, whichever shall occur first. It may be renewed once at the discretion of the department if the permit holder has not had a reasonable opportunity to take the state veterinarian licensing examination during the period for which such limited permit was originally issued. A limited permit may also be issued or extended for not more than one year to afford an applicant or permit holder a second opportunity to successfully complete such examination if such applicant or permit holder has successfully completed the written subjects and all except one of the practical subjects of such examination. A limited permit issued pursuant to paragraph two of subdivision one of this section shall be valid for one year, and may be renewed at the discretion of the department so long as the permit holder is a bona fide student at a college of veterinary medicine, in this state.
- Fees. The fee for each limited permit and for each renewal shall be one hundred five dollars.
The application form for a limited permit can be found at http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/vetmed/vet5.pdf. For more information, please contact the Office of the Professions at:
- Contact Us by email
- Phone: 518-474-3817, Press 1 then ext. 570